poppy

poppy

Pages

Saturday, 18 March 2017

SCAFFOLDING BOARD SHELVES



I get a lot of questions on my Instagram about my scaffolding board shelves, so thought I would write a little post about where they are from.

In October last year, I had my kitchen refitted. It was quite old and had far too many cupboards that ended up full of things I didn't need or ever use. {I found many appliances that I had forgotten I had: a tiny chip fryer which seemed almost pointless as it would never cook nearly enough chips; a bread maker which I had lost the kneading adaptor for-making it useless; a steamer which when I plugged in no longer worked, and my slow cooker which I did actually keep. However, I haven't used it once since rediscovering it, so it probably could have gone to the appliance graveyard with the rest...maybe this winter I will make lots of yummy stews...perhaps!}

Whilst planning my new kitchen, I spent many hours on Pinterest collecting ideas {of course} and trying to put them all together to make my ideal kitchen. One thing which featured in several of my 'pins' were scaffolding shelves. So I set about looking into how to make this a feature in my kitchen.

Of course, I started on Google and this soon took me to eBay. I found many places which sold old board, however, many of them were far too far away to justify buying a few little pieces of wood.
Then I found a place, just a few miles from home so popped in to see them.

They were very helpful-they cut and sanded the boards for me, although not too smooth as I still wanted that rustic look to me. I also asked to have the belts on either end of the boards, which they did willingly. They asked me to come back in a few hours to collect them, so I used that time to get online and look for brackets for them. Originally, I bought some standard shelf brackets from B&Q but when I got them home and held them in position, they looked very cheap and far from the look I was going for.

After a while on Google, I finally found 'the ones'. They are from trouva.com and were available in black and brass. I opted for the black as I wanted copper hints in my kitchen and felt the brass would clash with the other little bits I had bought to strategically place on said shelves.



All in all, they cost less than £100, the brackets being the most expensive purchase. The boards themselves were only a few pounds and I paid a little extra to have them cut, sanded and the belts put on the ends. Of course, if you have the tools, you could do that yourself, saving a few pennies, but for me, it was just easier to have them do it.



And I absolutely love them...and faffing about with the things on them. They are a great space to add quirky little things or seasonal decorations to brighten up the kitchen.




No comments:

Post a Comment