poppy

poppy

Pages

Tuesday, 22 November 2016

THE YUMMIEST CHOCOLATE CAKE



This recipe makes the nicest chocolate cake.  In fact, I would go as far to say that it was the nicest chocolate cake I have ever made.

Last week, my little Poppet turned two. Her birthday was in the week so we had a little celebration at home, with a yummy dinner and a little cake for just the four of us. I say little, it started out as just-going-to-be-a-simple-cake, and it turned out being this....




Then on the weekend it was Birthday Part Two, with friends and family.

Originally the plan was to make a Victoria sponge; I'd had enough of faffing with fondant. But somehow, I ended up making the mother of all fiddly fondant ruffle cakes. {I blame Pinterest-I get all sorts of grand ideas after a few minutes hours searching for inspiration...often ideas which are well above my stations, and capabilities. But you gotta love a trier, right?

Rather than the planned simple, yet delicious, tried and tested sponge, I ended up deciding that I was going to make a chocolate sponge. Hoping that it didn't turn out being dry and inedible, I Googled moist chocolate cake recipe {of course}. And this is what I found.

Ingredients:

225g unsalted butter {at room temperature}
350g caster sugar
3 eggs {I used medium ones}
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
350ml milk
300g plain flour {I sieved the flour, although the recipe didn't say to...my mum always does}
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 bag of chocolate chips {This wasn't in the original recipe, but can a chocolate cake ever be too chocolaty? }

Method:

First you have to do the boring bits; preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4 and line two 20cm tins.

I like to melt my butter before I add the sugar; they mix together really easily and it doesn't take long before you have a light and fluffy mixture.
Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each one, then stir in the vanilla.
The dry ingredients can then be added, alternating with the milk.

Then when it's all mixed up, share it between the two tins and bake for 40-45 minutes. Check with a skewer and allow to cool.


That was the easy part!

I then decided that I was going to cover the cake in ruffles; after the initial covering of butter cream and then rolled fondant, the fun began.

There were a few moments when I was tempted to throw it all out the window {and go back to the Victoria sponge idea} but in the end, I just about managed to achieve the effect I was going for.

Sort of.

With a few sprigs of rosemary and some fresh Brassica oleracea, and enough fondant to hide a multitude of sins, Poppy's cake was complete.



Phew!




And because it was so big, there was lots left for breakfast the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment