poppy

poppy

Pages

Saturday, 12 November 2016

PRINTS AND POSTERS

I love posters, pictures and prints. My home is full of all of them. I have more photos printed than I will ever have frames to fill and love to buy a souvenir print from a gallery or exhibition. I also have a few limited edition and signed prints {which are my favourite, but don't tell the rest}, as well as having my eye on a few more.

Ikea do some nice cheap and cheerful prints and posters, making it easy to update corners of your home. Some of these I have had for a few years now {the London and New York ones have moved from room to room} and others I've bought just to fill a space, until I find something more permanent.


{This little dodo is actually a greeting card but they too can make perfect prints in a frame. This one is from The Natural History Museum.}






On the opposite wall to this one, on the landing, I have a framed print from TKMaxx. I love that this scene has lots of the things love, quaint little BnBs, ice cream vans {and ice cream, of course}, sunny days by the sea and taking strolls in the sun. 




Galleries and exhibitions often have posters in the gift shop. Recently, I bought a print by Simon Harmer, from the Tate, of the skyline from the north side of the river-with the Tate being the focus of the drawing. It's not often that the London skyline is shown from the north bank, and I love that it gives a different perspective of the well known silhouette of the city. 




From the VandA, I have a poster from the Grace Kelly exhibit in 2010 and a print from the, more recent, shoe exhibition. 



Poppy loves this picture;  every night after her bath, we look at the different shoes and she 'baaaas' at the little sheep curled up in the basket. 


A few months ago I popped into Pedlar, and came away with this little print. It's just for fun in the kitchen {my milkman did a runner on me, he just stopped delivering my milk-so there is no hope of flirting with him}.


Not quite a print, and not quite a poster, I've had these 1930's Louis Vuitton French newspaper adverts for about 10 years now and love the art deco design and text.


In 2010, I went to the opening of Manolo Blahnik at Liberty, and met the man himself. Whilst there, he signed a print of one of his beautiful drawings. 




Lastly, and one of my favourite prints, is this one by fashion illustrator Miss Magpie Fashion Spy.
All the little, pretty details means that I find something new every time I look at it. Portobello Road is one of my favourite places to visit, all the colourful houses, antique stalls and of course the chance to pick up a cupcake from the Hummingbird Bakery; when I saw this limited edition print, I just had to have one.  I'm a real fan of Miss Magpie's work and will definitely treat myself to an original, at some point. 




If your budget stretches a bit further, BoConcept have some wonderful lithograph prints, complementing cool grey and pastel interiors. Where as, if you fancy a bit of a DIY project, some beautiful bird prints can be downloaded for free from Audubon. My favourite has to be this gorgeous flamingo. 



Over the next few weeks I want to buy a few more prints to hang in the kitchen. I saw some art work in a pub about 6 months ago, and whilst my budget doesn't quite stretch to an original, a print from Mashka's Marvellous Menagerie is definitely on my list, along with a few typography prints from Desenio

Once I've found the perfect prints, I will make a little trip to Ikea to buy some frames, and what's the betting I end up leaving with lots of other things I didn't know I needed until I saw them there. {How do they do that?}













1 comment:

  1. Wow you have so many unusual and beautiful prints/posters.

    I've started my own gallery wall in my bedroom but i have so many things I want to put up but not enough space.

    Love Coco
    www.cocochatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete